Monday, June 16, 2008

What it Takes to Succeed. -- Ground Work

After setting goals and a strategy the next step is to jump in and start working. Even though your goals may be to run the company that is not where you start. The first step is to find a way into an industry at a level that you can be an outstanding performer. Practice the art of under promise and over perform.

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford

My personal example of this was when I started working for my first internship in college. I was 18 yrs old didn't know anything about business but I did have one advantage over just about everyone else in the company. I knew how to use a computer. In 1987 computers where just starting to be used in the office but I had been using them in school for years and I was good with them. So I became the "go to" guy for computer problems. I would then stay late at the office and trade help with computers for answers on how real estate worked. Late at night in the office I would have the most time to spend with senior executives who mentored me in the real estate business.

So my tip today is find something that you can bring to the organization that no one else does and use that to help the company grow, in turn you will be rewarded.

"Deliver more than you are getting paid to do. The victory of success will be half won when you learn the secret of putting out more than is expected in all that you do. Make yourself so valuable in your work that eventually you will become indispensable."
- Og Mandino (1923-1996), American motivator, author, speaker

Here are a few more quotes from very successful people to drive home this concept

There's often no way you can look into the game of life and determine whether or not you'll get that big break tomorrow or whether it will take another week, month, year or even longer. But it will come!
Zig Ziglar(1933-, American Sales Trainer, Author, Motivational Speaker

"I could work harder than everyone." - Jerry Rice

"We had other teams beat in warm-up because we were prepared." - Jerry Rice

"Do your homework because kids in India are." - Jim Tunney

"The reason why so little is done is generally because so little is attempted."
- Samuel Smiles (1812-1904, Scottish author)

"Step by step. I can't think of any other way of accomplishing anything."
- Michael Jordan

"Nature gave us two ends one to sit on and one to think with. Ever since then, man's success or failure has been dependent on the one he used most."
- Robert Albert Bach

"If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
- Thomas Edison (1847-1931

"Anything in life worth having is worth working for."
- Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919), Scottish industrialist & philanthropist; founder, Carnegie Steel Co.

"The fruits of life fall into the hands of those who climb the tree and pick them."
- Earl Tupper (1907-1983), American businessman; inventor of Tupperware

"An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory."
- Friedrich Engels (1820-1895), German social philosopher

"Whatever it takes, that's what I do."
- David R. Mellor, Dir. of Grounds, Fenway Park

Please add some comments to this blog. I would like to hear about some of your ideas or your abilities that we are not using to the fullest capacity.

Thanks for making it happen
Nick

No comments: