Monday, April 13, 2009

GO TO HIGHER GROUND

Seeing things from a "distance". A few days away from the office is a great opportunity to see the company and the opportunities from a 25,000 ft level instead of the day to day grind. It is important for everyone to take a moment every few days and "go to higher ground", step back and see the problems from an elevated level so that you can more clearly come up with solutions to the problems at hand. It doesn't matter if you are one of our maintenance technicians that may be having a problem figuring out a solution to a plumbing problem or in our accounting group trying to reconcile an account, or CEO trying to negotiate with lenders, investors, sellers and buyers all at the same time.

We are living in very turbulent economic times and there is a lot of stress in the air. It takes a moment of rest and relaxation to get focused on the big picture.

A very useful method, that I use regularly, to focus my energy is to take out an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper at the end of the day and draw about 7 - 10 circles on it. In those circles I write the most important issues I am dealing with. My circles - Investors, Lenders, Waldo, Rebecca (my younger daughter), Levelland, Houston, SCM expansion, leasing season. I then put the paper on the floor and look at it for a few minutes from a higher level. I then think for a few minutes about what I will accomplish tomorrow for each of these projects. On the train ride home I continue to go through my mind the big picture of what the issues are and what I plan to accomplish tomorrow. When the following day comes I am prepared for the challenge of these issues and the others that will surely arise.

Try this simple "Go to Higher Ground" technique.
Please share your results with me.

Lets keep moving to higher ground.

Thanks for Making it Happen.
Nick

No comments: