Monday, May 3, 2010

Never Stop Learning

Over the weekend I visited my grandparents in their new apartment at a senior community that caters to older active residents.  The most interesting facet this community is how focused they are on keeping the residents active, engaged and always learning new things.  With all the activities available, I felt like I was on a college campus, but instead of tattoos and piercings, there was white hair and scooters. 

Recent research is showing that being active and engaged in a community and continually learning are much greater factors in a long healthy life; more so than genetics or the efficacy of the latest drug.  If you want to keep your brain in good health, then you have to keep using it. 

My belief which applies to us as a business, is that if everyone is not engaged with the company and always learning, then we as a company will shrink up and die. It doesn't matter if it is the daily huddle, the weekly customer service call or just a reply to all on one of the many company wide emails that circulate we encourage everyone to be involved.  To succeed in today's challenging environment, we need every one's help and involvement.

Always be Learning is another key part of our company goal and to that end I offered a few weeks ago to reimburse the purchase price of any book that you feel helps you at Signature Community. I am trying to keep this as open as possible, because I do feel that just about any book can make you a better team member.

The only thing I ask in return is that you write a one paragraph review of the book and tell people why they should (or in some cases shouldn't read the book).  I also ask that you mail your copy of the book to any one at Signature community and ask them to read it.   If you are like me and do a lot of highlighting, note taking and comments in the book then that's even better to share with others.

The email address is -   jekogian@asignaturecommunity.com

So please send me your review of the books you are reading I will then post to the blog so others can learn from you. 

Thanks for all the Signature team members that pushed me to do this and have already been sending me comments to books. I look forward to learning from all of you. 

Thanks for making Signature Community a great place to learn.

Nick


No comments: