Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Double Ironman Race Update

Thanks for all your support and interest on my latest crazy race endeavor.  Here is an update:

The Double Ironman started at 7am Saturday with a 5 mile swim.  Swim went great for me and I was out of the water in a little over 3 hrs.

Bike was a tough slog taking almost 17 hrs to ride the 225 miles. I was on the bike from about 11am until just after 5 am sunday morning.  The course was pretty brutal because it was a 2.5 mile road with sharp turnarounds on either end (with one side being at the bottom of a hill).  45 times around each of the cones was not a pleasant experience.  I did take a 15 - 20 min. rest every 50 miles with a Red Bull shot before each break to motivate me to get back up.

I started the run about 5:30 am and continued to run non-stop until 5:45 pm on Sunday.  The early morning run was very difficult and at points I was close to giving up.  About 8am my brother (Mike) and Yael joined me on the run and somehow turned my mindset from giving up to making it happen.  My pace increased significantly over the next few hours and the first 26 miles of the the 52 mile run turned out pretty nicely.  The later part of the run was a mindless walk or shuffle for about 8 hrs.  Every 30 mins we did a calculation to make sure my pace would beat the finish time requirement of 36 hrs.

 I could have never done it without my family crew (mom, dad, mike, yael, my kids and mike's kids) and their boundless energy pushing me towards the finish line.  In  34 hrs and 45 mins. I finished the Double Ironman.

Attached is a photo of me going over the finish -- American flag in hand, National anthem playing in the background and family cheering me on.  No better way to end a long weekend!

Thanks for your support and if you would like to make a contribution to the charity I was raising money for the link is here:  http://www.crowdrise.com/Neverstopmakingithappen/fundraiser/NeverStop


--
Nickolas Jekogian
CEO
Signature Community
917-763-3500
www.ASignatureCommunity.com
Blog -http://www.nwjceommm.blogspot.com/



There is only one boss at Signature Community. The Resident.
If we don't take care of them......Someone else will.


No comments: