Friday, March 4, 2011

Proud Father

Proud Father

As most of you know, I am a competitive person who takes
pleasure in doing some (outrageously) difficult athletic
endeavors. Last summer I ran 75 miles in an ultra-marathon,
and in the fall I completed a double Ironman which took just
under 35 hours with no sleep. I participate in these events
because I love the thrill of extraordinary achievement.

Last week was a bit of a turning point in my life. I was
up before dawn on a cold morning, but not to start my
daily training run. It was to take my daughter to her first
synchronized ice-skating competition. I am proud to say that
my daughter's team came in first place. The feeling that I
had watching my daughter compete in the event was the
same emotional feeling I get from crossing the finish line in a
marathon, but a lot less physically painful.


The moral of the story (besides bragging about my daughter)
, is that managers have a great opportunity to grow -- by
teaching young associates and then encouraging them to
go make things happen on their own; giving them guidance
and proper training, and then empowering them to go and
do it themselves; being a safety net, not a babysitter. Sure
mistakes will happen, but that is how people learn and
everyone will be much better off from the experience. In the
end, the goal is to create an environment that enables our
team members to succeed on their own and experience the joy when
that happens, much like the excitement I had seeing my
daughter succeed on her own.

Now for a Signature story. Over the past week, a resident
came to see Linda Moore to work out a payment plan on his
back rent. At the meeting, our resident explained that due to
the bad economy, he was broke and couldn't afford food for
his family. Linda listened carefully. But instead of acting like
a typical property manager, who would work out a payment
plan, have the resident sign and agree to strict payment
terms, Linda excused herself from the meeting. She walked
to her apartment put some groceries in a bag, returned to
the meeting, and gave the bag of groceries to the resident.

Some owners would be upset that the resident didn't pay last
months rent, but I am very proud of what Linda did to help a
resident in need. There is no rule in the Signature handbook
to evaluate when to give back to a resident. It comes from
giving our team members the freedom to do what they think
is right. It was a proud moment for me to hear that story. I
know that I will be telling that story many times in the future
(just like bragging about my kids). I am glad that we have a
culture at Signature Community that gives team members
like Linda the opportunity to take this type of initiative.

Thanks for making me proud to be the leader of Signature
Community.



--
Nickolas Jekogian
CEO
Signature Community
917-763-3500
www.ASignatureCommunity.com
Blog -http://www.nwjceommm.blogspot.com/

"Si3" Signature: Ideas, Innovation, Implementation!
Send ideas to: ideas@asignaturecommunity.com




No comments: