Thursday, December 20, 2012

TENT Conference

TENT Conference
The speakers that came before me were speaking English, Nigeria’s national language, to the 200 guests.  The theme was entrepreneurial spirit with a focus on the willingness to fail.  It seems that in this African nation, failing is not celebrated but discouraged.  The problem with trying to promote entrepreneurialism in this culture is that the underpinning of being an entrepreneur is to accept failure as part of your life.  When it was my turn to speak, I focused on my business failures and the many investments I have made that failed.  Failure is a part of business that needs to be celebrated and used as a learning tool.   Many questions were asked at the Q and A session, and it was a great opportunity for me to see the entrepreneurial interests of these Nigerian youths.

No comments: