Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Raid

Three and a half hours later at 5:30 a.m., I heard shouting in the hallway.  It sounded like they were going door to door in some kind of raid.  I quickly dressed, put on my sneakers and examined the exits for an escape plan.  I was ready to jump out the window if they knocked on my door.  I waited quietly.  By 6 a.m. the noise stopped.  I still have no explanation for the commotion, but I survived what was to be the only time I panicked during my trip.  I headed down to breakfast to find the eggs covered in the same spicy sauce that was on my rice and chicken the night before.  It took about 5 tries and the assistance of Tumi, a local businessman attending the conference that I had befriended, to fix my order and get me something plain.  After breakfast, it only took me a few minutes to get ready for today’s events since there was no soap of any kind in my room.  My pick-up time was scheduled for 8:45, but there really isn’t any such thing as a schedule here.  My ride arrived by 10 a.m. and we were off to start the TENT Conference.  

No comments: