Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Flight

I made it to London with no problems and boarded my flight for Lagos.  I was one of 5 white people on a flight of 380.  As a white man living in the US, it is very rare that I am the minority.  It was quite an eye-opening experience to finally have the tables turned and see how it feels to look different from everyone else.  The flight was filled with Nigerian college students headed home for break from studying in London. I was so excited when I landed and arrived in the Lagos Airport that I started snapping pictures on my phone right away.  A police officer immediately asked me why I was taking pictures and demanded a bribe.  I just kept walking and made it out without paying up.  I was already fitting in.  Gbegna met me as planned and we set out to explore Lagos. 

No comments: